Release Notes for FALCON 4.61 (32-bit)
Driver and setup version ⇑
Driver version 4.61.0002.0
Setup version 4.61.0000.0
- FALCON express
- FALCON plus
- FALCON plus express
- FALCON quattro
- FALCON quattro express
- FALCON LP
- EAGLE quattro
The version 4.61.0000 does not contain any update for Windows 95/98/ME
There is no further driver development for Windows 95/98/ME. The latest driver version for Windows 95/98/ME is 4.20.0007
General information ⇑
The download file FALCON_46100.exe (if available) is a self extracting archive. The extracted files will be saved in the folder
<TEMP> is the temporary directory the system environment variable TEMP points to.
The extracted files will not be deleted after the installation process.
The following directory structure will be created:
||Contains text files with the latest information regarding this driver release.
||Contains the installation program.
||Contains the INF files for the plug-and-play manager of Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 32-bit.
||Common driver files for the Win32 operation systems Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7
||Device driver files for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7 32-bit
||Device driver files for Windows NT 4.0
Setup version 4.61.0000.0 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.61.0002.0
Correction: It is now possible to save an image with is_SaveImage() in the Direct3D mode without an user allocated buffer.
Setup version 4.60.0000.0 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.60.0003.0
- New: Support of Windows 7
- New: Support for the new Direct3D display mode. This mode features live view with non-destructivegraphics overlay capabilities. This mode solves existing problems with recent graphics adapters and their drivers in combination with the S3 and BackBuffer display mode.
is_SetDisplayMode() function to activate this mode:
- New: A new SDK function
is_DirectRenderer() is introduced to set and read back various parameters and modes. See the FALCON manual for a description of this new function.
Setup version 4.51.0000.0 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.51.0004.0
- Correction: when runnig in NEXT_FIELD capture mode the
is_StopLiveVideo command did not work and changed the video input.
- Correction: when runnig in NEXT_FRAME capture mode the
is_StopLiveVideo command did not work.
- Correction: when the capture mode is set to a non stereo mode right before a freeze command the capture process has been unnecessarily delayed.
Setup version 4.51.0000.0 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.51.0000.2
- Support of the FALCON Express
- Correction in the DirectDraw Overlay-Surface-Mode (S3)
Setup version 4.50.0000.0 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.50.0000.0
- Change in kernel driver because the new DriverVerifier tool reported a uncritical warning.
- Added option to force a periodic update of the overlay surface through the DD event. Some new graphic cards do not update the overlay automatically but only after calling the DirectDraw update functions.
To allow the periodic update a registry value has to be set:
value: 0 disabled (default)
- Enabled IS_SET_VIDEO_IN_4S for FALCON quattro
- Maximum number of supported devices increased from 16 to 64
- Enabled Windows VISTA as valid operating system
- Correction in steal handling when the stolen image is scaled down.
- Correction in internal message handling. Some OLE applications had trouble with previous versions.
- Fix in overlay surface mode. A scaled image has always been replaced with the default image size when the overlay surface was updated. This has been corrected now.
- Automatic disabling of the screen saver in DirectDraw mode can be deactivated:
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_DONT_TOUCH_SCREENSAVER, [0,1]);
1 = does not change screen saver setting
0 = does disable screen saver in DirectDraw modes
- Added support for DirectDraw modes in dual monitor systems
- Fix for steal mode. Number of stolen memory frames has not been reset
- Added option to set the thread priority of the BackBuffer update thread:
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_BACKBUFFER_UPDATE_PRIORITY, [0...3]);
0 = _NORMAL
1 = _ABOVE_NORMAL
2 = _HIGHEST
3 = _TIME_CRITICAL
- The first internal DD backbuffer display update can be delayed by a defineable number of VSYNCs in order to prevent flickering when switching do DD backbuffer mode. The default delay has set to 2.
- The DD backbuffer update event can be disabled before the DD backbuffer mode is initialized so that the DD backbuffer display won't start until the event is enabled manually by the user.
- Corrections for saving YUV 4:2:0 bitmaps
- Enabled support for Windows Server 2003
- Added option to allow up to four processes to access the same device. But only the first attached process can control the capture related functions. All other processes can only control non-video functions like trigger, IO, watchdog nd EEPROM.
New events were introduced to signal process attach and detach.
To allow multi process acces a registry value has to be set:
value: 0 disabled (default)
- Correction when saving an image in overlay surface mode.
- Correction in stereo mode for FALCON Duo/Quattro Rev. 2
Setup version 4.40.0002.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.40.0002.1
- Bug fix in handling the trigger inputs for the following boards: FALCON Plus Rev. 4 and FALCON Plus Rev. 5
Setup version 4.40.0000.1 ⇑
- FALCON/EAGLE manual has been replaced by a new version
- Updated some sample programs (IdsDemo)
falcavi.dll (BOARDINFO structure can be read out through
- Updated VisualBasic and Delphi interface files for
- Added Delphi interface file for
- WDM driver has been replaced by a new version (Version 220.127.116.11)
Driver update with version 4.40.0000.1
- Added support for the new FALCON Quattro Revision 2 board
- Improvements of interrupt behaviour in a shared interrupt environment
- Corrected EEPROM write access to user area if start address is not 8 byte aligned.
- The Toggle Mode has been disabled for the following board types:
- FALCON Plus Revision 5
- FALCON Quattro Revision 2
Setup version 4.31.0008.1 ⇑
- No setup package available
Driver update with version 4.31.0008.1
- Image acquisition has been corrected. Both half lines (top an bottom) are now visible.
- Minor changes in VfW driver
- Further improvements for DirectDraw OverlaySurface mode when pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL
- Some optimization work on freeze handling in ODD and EVEN capture modes when switching cameras
- The driver for Windows 2000 and Windows XP has been successfully tested with the Microsoft 'Driver Verifier' tool
- Changes in OverlaySurface mode
- Changes in VFW driver
Setup version 4.31.0000.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.31.0000.1
- Corrections for older BT848 based boards
Setup version 4.30.0000.1 ⇑
- Visual Basic Demo moved to a separate directory
- Added help file for
- Updated demo source files
Driver update with version 4.30.0000.1
Last error can now be read back.
- Improved DirectDraw OverlaySurface mode when pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL
- Official support for the FALCON Plus Revision 5 featuring a hardware watchdog, a video output and switchable 75 Ohm video signal termination
Setup version 4.20.0019.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.20.0019.1
Setup version 4.20.0018.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.20.0018.1
- Additional messages for the system EventLog
Setup version 4.20.0017.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.20.0017.1
- Improvements for FALCON Plus Revision 5
Setup version 4.20.0016.1 ⇑
- included new demos:
- SimpleAcquire: simple C++ demo for image snap shot
- SimpleLive: simple C++ Demo for live display
- Demo update: IdsDemo
- Further development for Windows 95/98/ME has been stopped
Driver update with version 4.20.0016.1
- The ChromaComb filter can be turned on/off:
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_CHROMA_COMB_FILTER, [0;1])
- The Chroma-AGC can be turned on/off:
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_CHROMA_AGC, [0;1])
- The PCI latency timer value can be set for each device through a registry entry (for Windows NT/2000/XP):
Registry path: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Falcon\Parameters\<DeviceX>
Value: 1 to 255
(DeviceX is a placeholder for Device0 to Device15)
- The width and height of a 'steal' image can now be different from the image size of the displayed image. To enable this feature the image memory for the 'steal' image has to be allocated with the desired width and height and the 'mode' parameter of the function
is_PrepareStealVideo() has to be logical ORed with IS_USE_MEM_IMAGE_SIZE.
- First support for FALCON Plus Revision 5
- onboard hardware watchdog
- analog video out (passthrough function)
- switchable 75Ohm termination
- New option for DirectDraw backbuffer mode:
the image display can be upscaled by a factor of two in vertical direction. This is useful in field capture modes (odd or even) in combination with the NON_INTERLACED option to keep the correct aspect ratio.
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_RENDER_DOUBLE_HEIGHT, [0;1])
- An external ADC reference voltage mode can be enabled. The internal AGC is switch off and a high precision reference voltage has to be supplied to the video decoder. If no reference voltage is supplied then the captured image will be almost white.
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_EXTERNAL_VREF_MODE, [0;1])
Setup version 4.20.0000.1 ⇑
- Included new Visual Basic sample program.
- 'WhatsNew.txt' file can be displayed at the end of the installation process.
Driver update with version 4.20.0000.1
- If the FALCON driver has been installed but there is no hardware plugged in then the function
is_InitBoard will display the error message 133 (IS_NO_HARDWARE_INSTALLED) ("Hardware not installed or the driver could not detect the hardware"). Return value is still -1.
- The grabber will disable the color processing if the amplitude of the color burst signal is below a certain level. This behaviour can be changed as follows:
This behaviour can be set in IdsDemo.exe. Select 'Properties' dialog and the 'Image parameters' tab.
- Color processing always active:
is_BoardStatus (hBoard, IS_LOW_COLOR_REMOVAL, 0);
- Color processing disabled on low color burst amplitude:
is_BoardStatus (hBoard, IS_LOW_COLOR_REMOVAL, 1);
- The DLL version number can be obtained using the new function
is_GetDLLVersion(). The version number is returned as a long (32 bit):
- Bits 31-24: major version number
- Bits 16-23: minor version number
- Bits 15-0: build version number
- Correction for reading back the video input selection for the EAGLE Quattro
Setup version 4.10.0018.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0018.1
Setup version 4.10.0016.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0016.1
- Minor adaptions for FALCON-LP revision
Setup version 4.10.0015.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0015.1
- Added extension in
is_BoardStatus to read the bus fifo overrun counter. Use constant IS_BUS_OVR_CNT to get the counter value.
- Correction in save and load functions if the path contains a dot.
- Enabled trigger handling for FALCON Quattro/Duo.
- Added stereo handling for FALCON Quattro/Duo.
- Added new option HALF_HEIGHT to
is_RenderBitmap() function to use only half the height for displaying the image mem. The constant must be logical ORed with the parameter
- Added new option USE_MEMORY_COLOR to
is_RenderBitmap() function to use the color setting of the allocated image memory instead using the current color mode.
- Added option USE_ACTUAL_IMAGE_SIZE for
is_SaveImageMem() to use the currently used image size instead of the image size specified on memory allocation. Logical OR the option with the parameter
- Improved settings for vertical filter in unscaled image.
- Added VPRES event for WinNT/Win2000/WinXP.
Setup version 4.10.0008.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0008.1
- Corrections for
is_SaveImage when in odd or even noninterlaced mode and rop effect mirror_updown is active
- Saving an upside down bitmap can be schieved by setting the IS_MIRROR_BITMAP_UPDOWN parameter in is_BoardStatus to 1
- Re-added support for FALCON Plus version with 3 chinch inputs
- Corrections for updating the screen position in overlay surface mode
- Added function
is_RenderBitmap() for displaying an image mem in bitmap mode:
is_RenderBitmap (HIDS hf, INT nMemID, HWND hwnd, INT nMode)
hf Handle from is_InitBoard
nMemID ID of memory to display or 0 for active one
hwnd window handle
nMode render mode:
IS_RENDER_MIRROR_UPDOWN 16 (can be ORed with above)
Setup version 4.10.0007.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0007.1
- Correction for steal mode under Win9x for incomplete last two lines
- Re-added support for FALCON Plus version with 3 chinch inputs
- The image settings brightness, contrast, saturation and hue of the IdsDemo sample program are now permanently stored in an INI file
Setup version 4.10.0005.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.10.0005.1
- Correction in
- Trigger inputs can now be read directly at any time using the function
is_SetExternalTrigger (h, IS_GET_TRIGGER_INPUTS);
- New function
is_SetDecimationMode() for live stream decimation. Used to drop n frames or fields out of the live stream. The dropped frames/fields are not transferred over the PCI bus. This function is NOT available for Windows 95/98/Me!
- Corrections for
is_SaveImage when only a portion of the image has to be saved and the scaler is off.
Setup version 4.10.0002.1 ⇑
- Added SoftComp documentation
Driver update with version 4.10.0002.1
- FALCON plus: corrections for
Setup version 4.10.0000.1 ⇑
- Additional FALCON sample programs
- Additional FALCAVI sample programs
Driver update with version 4.10.0000.1
- FALCON duo/quattro: corrections for
- Default settings for Y8 color mode changed: Chroma AGC is now disabled, Low Color Removal Detection is now enabled.
- EAGLE quattro: Y/C support
- Luma Notch Filter can be swithced on and off:
is_BoardStatus(h, IS_LUMA_BANDWIDTH_FILTER, [0;1])
- Dll is "thread safe" now
- EAGLE (with BT848): corrections for flash strobe output
- Unlock/lock of a sequence buffer can be done within
is_GetActSeqBuf() (see manual for more information)
- First support for FALCON Plus Revision 4 board
Setup version 4.00.0012.1 ⇑
Driver update with version 4.00.0012
- The last video line hasn't been captured completely during a StealVideo process. This has been corrected for Windows NT/2000/XP
- There may happen an index mismatch when using sequence mode and high CPU load. The result is an incorrect index to the actual used sequence buffer. This has been improved.
Setup version 4.00.0011.1 ⇑
- The project settings of the IdsDemo sample installed by the setup version 4.00.0011.1 had some errors which caused the compilation to fail. This has been corrected in setup version 4.00.0011.2.
Driver update with version 4.00.0011
- Setup creates the installation directory structure in the wrong path (it uses the windows system directory by mistake). → The setup has been corrected on September 17th, 2001.
- StealVideo for Windows 95/98/Me has been corrected
Setup version 4.00.0010.0 ⇑
- Support for the new EAGLE quattro board.
- English setup has been fixed.
Setup version 4.00.0007.0 ⇑
- Support for the new boards FALCON duo and FALCON quattro featuring video crosspoint switches and digital inputs and outputs.
- Multiple board support has been improved.
is_SetImagePos() has been corrected when used in DirectDraw display modes.
- Scaling for the DirectDraw BackBuffer overlay has been added. A new function
is_ScaleDDOverlay() has been added. The default setting is "scaling=off" to keep compatibility.
- New capture modes NEXT_FIELD and NEXT_FRAME have been added. These capture modes start image acquisition on the next field, regardless whether odd or even.
- The StereoMode has been fixed. Swapping of the camera images cannot occur any more. A short "flicker" may occur if in DirectDraw PrimarySurface display mode.
- The missing StealEvent has been added.
- When using the auto StealMode and the DirectDraw PrimarySurface display mode there may be signaled more events then expected.
- The automatic StealMode can now be stopped using
is_StopLiveVideo() and can be continued using
is_CaptureVideo(). On calling
is_StealVideo() the live capture mode does not need to be active.
- When using the automatic StealMode the number of frames transferred to the VGA and to the PC memory can now be independently set in the range of 1 to 255.
- When using the manual StealMode the number of frames transferred to the PC memory can now be set in the range of 1 to 255.
- StealModes are only available in FRAME or NEXT_FRAME capture modes.
- A FALCON board is listed twice in the resoure list of Windows NT 4.0. This is due to the additional audio device of the FALCON chip. The used interrupts of the video and audio part of the device are identical. The used memory areas are different.
- For Windows 2000 and Windows 95/98/ME there is an additional audio device driver (falcaud.sys/falcaud.vxd) to eliminate problems on some systems.
- For Windows NT 4.0 the audio driver is integrated into the video driver (falcon.sys).
- The INF installation file for Windows 2000 and Windows 95/98/ME has been corrected to make the installation more easy. The DLLs are now installed with the INF installation.
- The memory leak of the FALCON Windows 95/98/ME driver has been removed.
- Switching between video inputs has been improved.
- Problems of
is_UpdateDisplay() in combination with the DirectDraw PrimarySurface display mode has been solved.
- An additional DLL "falcavi.dll" is shipped with the driver. This DLL is for recording and playback JPEG compressed AVI files with the FALCON/EAGLE.
IDS Imaging Development Systems GmbH
Dimbacher Str. 6-8
T: +49 7134 96196-0
© IDS Imaging Development Systems GmbH, March 2011